Sunday, April 19, 2009

A little more back ground.

Ok so here is a little bit more background on what conception has been like for my husband and I. We have been through a very long journey to get to this point and we are praying that our little miracle will grow happy and healthy for the time the baby needs to grow inside! I just found out on Friday that I was pregnant... which was a total miracle as this has been a totally odd cycle right after a miscarriage Feb 5. I ended up not geting a period at all but maybe ovulating 2 times.... once because of the clomid on CD 28 and once on my own on CD 49 or 50. What is really odd was after a negative beta I ended up having an ultrasound to check for problems. They said that my lining was too thick and thought I had gotten back something I had in 2007 which caused abnormal cells and polyps and pre cancers. But that problem was cause by a gluten allergy of which I have been clean from since that time so I didn't know how it would come back. Anyways they did the ultrasound and found that I had follicles growing on both ovaries but that my lining was thick so my doctor decided later that week to do a biopsy. That very day could have been the day I ovulated, but my doctor even after I talked to her about the follicles didn't say that anything could happen. In fact she said I needed to take progesterone to bring on AF for 10 days. I started that after doing another negative beta test. Now they never told me the #'s on those so I am assuming they were 0 but I do not know this for sure. After the 10 days on progesterone still no AF in 11 days. I had one digital pregnancy test left over from my clomid round in February so I decided to take it. It said "Pregnant". That was on Friday morning so I called the clinic as soon as they opened and they ran my beta's for me very quickly, the lab said they had a rush on it. My beta level Friday was 1174. I thought that was quite high for a new pregnancy... but with the other negative ones the timing is only there for that. I had another one run this morning but won't get the results until monday morning. In all my pregnancies before I never knew my beta results. I lost 9 little ones between 4.5 and 6 weeks early in our marriage. We have been trying since 1994. After the first 9 we stopped counting... I guess we were just to numb to do so. Until 2006 when we lost one much later. I didn't know I was pregnant and we were on our way on a cross country road trip from Washington State to Arkansas to help at an international worship conference. On the Idaho/Utah border the is a rest stop and that is where we lost what we count as #10 even though there were some in between. That baby was much larger and was probably around 8 weeks. It wasn't until I bleed for a whole year that I went back to to the doctors. You see I had been avoiding them for 5 years because they told me they wanted to take my parts out.... and I refused to give up hope. It was at that time through much prayer and study that I figured out the main cause of all my MC's in the past. Glutens. They made my body fight against itself. Kind of like an autoimmune disease. In 2007 I was told that I had high blood pressure, liver disease, kidney disease, hypothyroid, type 2 diabetes, PCOS and the Hypoplasia thick lining of the uterus that I talked about earlier. The first doctor I talked to told me I would be on multiple medications for the rest of my life. Then my OB/GYN did a biopsy to find the abnormal cells and polyps. She scheduled me for exploratory surgery and a D&C. The day I got the news I had started on a special diet that cut out all artificial ingredients and processed foods. Unknowingly I cut out the root of all my problems. I had cut out all wheat products. During the exploratory surgery they found no abnormal cells at all. Also by the time of my surgery I was off all the medications. It was through the prayer and study that I found out more about the gluten allergy. It turns out that it is a big cause of infertility. The doctors put me on progesterone for 3 months at that time to make sure nothing came back and of course on my biopsy in November everything was perfectly ok! I went through a lot in 2007 but finally towards the end my doctor said the difference in my body was like day and night and that it was ok to work on trying to conceive again. (Not that I had stopped) We never really ever stopped TTC... but decided that we were going to put off doing anything medically to conceive until after June 08 because I had 2 international trips before that. God's timing is not always our own though and right after I got back from China in the end of April 2008 I found out I was close to 8 weeks pregnant... and did not know it before I left. So the whole time in China that I thought was food poisoning it turned out to be morning (all day) sickness. My pregnancy was going great. Did the CVS at 12 and 16 weeks and everything was looking good. At 19 weeks we found out we were having a boy. And then for the next 10 weeks of pregnancy they put me on auto pilot. Seeing different doctors every time and only seeing my doctor for a total of 15 minutes during the pregnancy. On my visit at 28 weeks they said I was measuring way ahead. 32 weeks... so they scheduled an ultrasound to see if they had been off on the timing. Big difference huh! That was the same week of my first ever baby shower. I was so excited... I asked to get it done before the shower but the only day they had open was Sunday... the day after. Oh how I wish it was before now. On that Sunday I went in to my ultrasound expecting everything would be fine. I had just put the presents from the shower in the crib from the day before and was going to come right home to unpack them. The ultrasound tech had troubles with the pictures. To make a hugely long story short I ended up getting a call at the ultrasound place from a physician who told me my water had broken and that I need to get to the hospital right away for some test. He told me I would be there a couple days. I don't know if that was a deliberate lie or if he just felt that way... because I ended up in that hospital for 5 days and then transfered to the University of Washington Medical center for the next 34 days. My son was born at 34 weeks with a condition called Posterior Urethral Valves which basically caused him not to be able to pee out the amniotic fluid that they produce themselves from week 16. That is why no fluid was found during the ultrasound. Because of this his lungs did not form so he wasn't able to breath much. He was born Nov 5 2008 and died only one short hour after birth. Because of my age they said no time to waste if I wanted to have another child... so they decided to put me on clomid in January. I conceived and lost that child very quickly... due to the fact that it could not implant well enough because of vitamins I had taken the month before that interact with clomid. I took my second round of clomid right away after the MC. Then the rest of the story is up above. It is a total miracle. I know it is still early but we are so hopeful for this little one. We are praying for a :girl: girl. Even though the condition our son had is not genetic it still happens to 1 in 8000 boys. We don't want that to happen again... so we pray for a girl every time we pray! I am also wearing pink and surrounding myself with pink. Don't think that will do anything but I know that God does listens to prayers. I know this because this child is a total miracle. I got to the point of this cycle that I was praying for my period but God had a much better surprise planned. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow sunshine, you've been through the wringer! I'm so happy for you and your new miracle. I can't wait to follow in your words through this journey. How exciting! Let me know if you need anything at all. :)